MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD RECIPE
from EVOLVE, Autumn 2021
1.Preheat the oven to either 150 o C (fan) or 170 o C (not fan).
2.Beat the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon. Or, if you're feeling lazy, throw it in a food processor and mix until it forms a paste.
3. Add the flour and mix until it forms a dough.
4.Line an 8x8 inch square tin with a thin layer of butter and then with parchment paper.
5.Press the shortbread into the tin in an even layer.
6.Put it in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are very lightly coloured.
7.While it's cooking in the oven, start to make the caramel.
8. Add all the ingredients for the caramel into a medium sized saucepan and place on a medium high heat.
9. Stir it whilst it's on the heat using either a silicone coated whisk or a spatula.
10. Cook until it is a deep golden brown colour - about 10 minutes of stirring after all the ingredients have melted.
11. When the shortbread is out of the oven, pour the caramel over the top and pop it in a cool place for about an hour.
12. After it has cooled, melt the different types of chocolate in separate bowls. You can either do this in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, or in the microwave.
13. Once they have melted, pour them over the cooled caramel and swirl them together using a knife, being careful not to stab the caramel.
14. Leave the chocolate to set in a cool place, but not in the fridge, as it will be a nightmare to cut if you do that.
15. Then use a sharp knife to cut the shortbread into pieces and enjoy it with a cup of tea!
Written by Livia
For the shortbread:
100g softened salted butter
50g caster sugar
150g plain flour
For the caramel:
200g condensed milk
150g salted butter
50g soft light brown sugar
50g golden syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate:
120g milk chocolate
30g dark chocolate
50g white chocolate