from Illuminate, Autumn 2021
1. Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until it's light and well mixed together.
2. Beat in the egg and the treacle, scraping down the sides of the bowl halfway through to ensure it's all mixed in evenly.
3. Mix together the flour, bicarb, spices and salt in a separate bowl.
4. Add this mixture to the buttery mix a couple of tablespoons at a time, scraping down the bowl with the spatula frequently.
5. Once it's all mixed together, wrap it in clingfilm and leave in the fridge to rest overnight.
6. Preheat the oven to 170 fan.
7. Take the dough out of the fridge about 10 minutes before you start to roll it out.
8. Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it's about 4mm thick.
9. Cut out biscuits with your desired cutters and place onto lined baking trays.
10. Bake for about 10-15 minutes.
11. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes, if you can bear to wait, then enjoy with a delicious hot drink.
Written by Livia
180g room temperature butter
125g soft dark brown sugar
400g plain flour
3/4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of salt
125g black treacle